photo courtesy land8
Career opportunities for AutoCAD experts
AutoCAD is an industry-recognised software used generally by engineers to plan, draw, and edit 2D and 3D designs effectively. It eliminates the limitations of drawing with hands, keeping the physical design files safe, and the complexities of sharing, getting feedback, and making edits in the designs. Keeping up-to-date with the digital advancements, AutoCAD allows professionals to avoid errors, store their designs safely in the cloud that can be accessed anytime from anywhere, change and manipulate the designs, and collaborators, and re-use the same design or its elements for different projects. Once designed, the project can be converted into a prototype through a 3D printer or machine and can then be used for building the final product, ultimately increasing the productivity, efficiency, and accuracy of the project.
Some popular job profiles for AutoCAD experts include —
1. Mechanical engineer - AutoCAD experts, with knowledge or degree in mechanical engineering, can work across various entry-level to senior-level positions in the field. They majorly specialise in designing and producing systems or objects in motion such as air conditioning systems, gas turbines, generators and different types of machinery. They usually design motor parts, new machinery, improve or reconfigure existing components, and create manufacturing processes in AutoCAD. In addition to these, they produce outline designs, conduct experiments methodically, test and evaluate the designs, formulate relevant solutions for emerging problems, and prepare product reports and documents on a regular basis.
2. Fashion designer - Zeal for fashion designing can be amplified through creating innovative sketches, prints, patterns, designs, and styles on AutoCAD. The software helps create different variations of a single design quickly and precisely, and apply it to different cloth materials and patterns. Fashion designers are fond of AutoCAD as it allows them to explore different colourways, makes alteration and rectification easy, helps in accurate designing, and reduces the chances of errors. Fashion designers also conduct the whole print and collection development process virtually on AutoCAD which reduces the cost of raw physical material, accelerates the production and development processes, and minimises alteration requirements in the final products.
3. Civil engineer - Certified civil engineers design, build, manage, supervise, and maintain infrastructures like roads, buildings, tunnels, airports, bridges, sewage systems, and living apartments. AutoCAD is an essential software for civil engineers, required to plan and design structures, create base maps, analyse the strength of the infrastructure, add details to the elements, estimate the exact measurements and required materials, and so on. Apart from working on AutoCAD, their daily job responsibilities also involve site inspections, feasibility assessments, providing project estimates, liaising with clients or subcontractors, and optimising production processes, safety procedures, and regulatory compliance.
4. Interior designer - AutoCAD skills bolster the professional portfolio of an interior designer. The software is popularly used by interior designers for elevation views, floor planning, plotting, dimensioning, and visualising. They draw constructions, use objects and organise them in the virtual space, use different techniques, elements, spaces, commands, and editing tools, to give a unique, customised, and modern look to different buildings, hotels, offices, and so on. They generally manage the whole project from concept to completion, choose the material and products for the area, place orders for raw or finished goods, collaborate with different stakeholders like clients, architects, constructors, decorators, and designers, and install the interior design based on current industry trends.
5. Electrical engineer - The field of electrical engineering involves designing, development, manufacturing, and testing of electrical equipment. Knowledge of AutoCAD is a prerequisite for electrical engineers as the software is used to make and modify electrical and electronic diagrams, schematics, control circuit diagrams, and documentation. Its extended features help in automating tasks like numbering wires, building the circuits, and making bills. As all the electrical designs are supposed to conform to industry standards, usage of AutoCAD over hand drawings is preferred. Experienced individuals with practical knowledge of AutoCAD and a degree in electrical engineering, can work in this domain and design various devices or equipment like power generators, communication devices, navigation systems, and electrical units of aircraft, automobiles, and so on.
Courtesy: Internshala Trainings (training.internshala.com) - e-learning platform to learn new-age skills from Internshala