PhD. Journalism & Mass Communication : Course & Career
- PhD. Journalism & Mass Communication : Course & Career
Doctorate of Journalism and Mass Communication
By Ojas Singh
PhD. Journalism and Mass Communication
As the name mentions, the above mentioned course is a Doctorate level course in the discipline of Journalism and Mass Communication. The main purpose of the course is to empower students with deep knowledge and experience in the same discipline. Students are required to do research based on the previous learning in the course.
The other focus of the course is equipping the candidate with tons of knowledge and practical skills on the chosen topic and to equip candidates with teaching skills.
The duration of the course varies between 3-6 years, which depends on the area of the research
Phd in Journalism is suited for those wishing to make a career in teaching and research. The course provides aspirants with a solid foundation and base in mass communication and journalism. Students are strongly encouraged to develop their own theoretical and methodological approaches which are the need of the emerging journalistic community in India. In terms of career options apart from academics and research, consultancy has emerged as an important career option for aspirants.
· They should also have a minimum percentage of 55% to pursue a PhD. Entrance exams like NET JRF also require the candidate to have a minimum of 55% during post-graduation.
· Candidates must have completed their post-graduation in Journalism and Mass Communication from a recognized university.
· However there is no age bar for applying for the course.
Admission in PhD. Journalism and Mass Communication are mostly done on the basis of merit based on the result of Master of Journalism and Mass Communication or (MJMC). However, several colleges accept the entrance exams like NET JRF and few universities conduct their own entrance exams.
Merit based admission
The admission to the PhD. Degree is done on the basis of merit based on the Master Of Journalism and Mass Communication, generally, the accepted percentage varies between 50-60%.
Few colleges accepting the merit based admission
IGNOU PhD in Journalism & Mass Communication Admission:-
Duration: 2 - 5 Years
A candidate will be eligible for admission and registration for the PhD Programme provided he/she has Master Degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with fifty-five percent marks and an MPhil from any recognised University or Institution of Higher Learning.
BHU PhD in Journalism
Banaras Hindu University is a central university. The eligibility for Masters degree in journalism or mass communication or an equivalent qualification with minimum 55 percent marks.
Entrance based Admission
The candidates should pass the entrance tests stipulated by the university ordinance on Ph.D.
All the entrance examination pattern is MCQ based examination.
Generally the syllabus for the entrance exam revolves around Journalism and mass communication. However there is a separate section for Analytical skills, aptitude skills, teaching skills, Logical reasoning, Communication, People and Environment, Reading Comprehension, etc.
· NET/NET JRF: It is a national-level examination conducted for admissions in PhD. To pursue PhD along with a stipend, candidates must clear NET JRF, whereas after clearing NET candidates can become eligible to apply for universities as professors. However, NET JRF candidates are preferred by universities.
· SET: SET is conducted to provide research opportunities at the state level. Candidates who pass become eligible to apply for research or to become professors at any university within the state they have appeared.
· LPUNEST: LPUNEST is the entrance exam conducted by Lovely Professional University. Candidates can also become eligible for scholarships if their score in the entrance exam is high.
· SUAT: Sharda University also conducts its own entrance test for admissions in PhD. However, candidates who have scored good marks in NET/ JRF/ SET are exempted and are directly called for an interview
Top college for the course
· Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh INR 10,000
· Amity University, Noida INR 50,000
· Andhra University, Visakhapatnam INR 7,000
· Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar INR 1,20,000
· University of Madras, Chennai INR 8,005
· Mysore University, Mysore INR 35,740
· Bharathiar University, Coimbatore N/A
After becoming an expert in the field, people can also help other individuals learn about the subject by becoming professors. The profession includes a handsome initial pay of 9 – 11 lacs PA
A degree in Mass communication allows the candidate to become an expert in event management as it mostly involves communicating with people of different backgrounds and work. The profession includes a pay of 5-7 lacs PA.
Journalists write, edit, proofread, research, and find new news reports and deliver them using various forms of media. Holding a PhD. Degree will work as cherry on top for the candidate and he/she is eligible for applying to good posts including as an editor. The pay in this profession varies from 8-12 lacs PA.
However, candidates usually start working after this course as it is the highest level of educational qualification in this field. However, here are a few things that people can pursue if they do not wish to work.
· Competitive Exams: Candidates can prepare for various competitive exams, especially for joining the civil services. They can use their expertise in the field to excel in exams as well as interviews.
· PhD in related fields: There is no limit as to how many PhDs can a person pursue. Thus, after completing a PhD. Journalism and Mass Communication, people can also pursue other PhDs Media studies.
· MBA: MBA is one of the most opted-for professional courses by candidates of all ages and educational backgrounds. People can choose from a variety of specialities like Human Resource, Marketing, Finance, etc.
For all the information related to other Journalism and Mass Communication courses visit-
· Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC) visit the article http://eduadvice.in/home/NewsDetail?pid=40251
· Master of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC) visit the article http://eduadvice.in/home/NewsDetail?pid=40216