St. Joseph’s Academy was established by the Patrician Brothers in 1934. The school opened its doors to receive pupils on 2nd March 1934 with a staff of seven teachers and 15 students on roll. Bro. A. Keogh was the first Principal. Today, it has over 3400 students, 120 teachers and about 40 ancillary staff on roll.
Till 1975, the school prepared students for the Senior Cambridge Examination (class XI). From the year 1976 onwards, we have been preparing students for the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE-X) and the Indian School Certificate Examination (ISC-XII) which is conducted by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi. Every year, our students who appear for these board examinations produce excellent results. In the year 2003, one of our students was the All India Topper in the ICSE (class X) Examination.
The students are divided into four houses which are named after the Brothers – Bros. Donovan (Yellow), Duffy (Red), Dooley (Green) and Bergin (Blue).
The school aims at always doing its best for its students. The long tradition of 75 years has made St. Joseph’s Academy a landmark of the Doon.
At one time the Three Defence Services of the Country were being headed by three past pupils of the Patrician Brothers.
Our school motto, in Latin is Laborare Est Orare, which means Work is Worship - a beautiful tribute to the Saint of our school, whom we hope will be an inspiration to all of us, today and always.