Golden Jubilee Year National Conference of Practising Company
- Golden Jubilee Year National Conference of Practising Company
From L to R- CS Hitesh Kothari, Programme Co-ordinator and Chairman Western India Regional Council of ICSI,
CS Makarand Lele, President ICSI, CS Vineet K Chaudhary, Council Member, ICSI and Chairman,
PCS Conference Committee, and CS Dinesh C. Arora Secretary ICSI- at a PRESS CONFERENCE
at Mumbai today
“In this transforming era of good governance, where the introduction of Secretarial Audit in the Companies Act, 2013 has led to many other regulatory recognitions under SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2015, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code 2016, Goods and Services Act 2017, to name a few; Audits, Attestations, Appearances, Advocacy and alike have also become an integral part of the role profile of the Practising Company Secretary (PCS) identified professional pursuits”, stated CS Makarand Lele, President ICSI while addressing a Press Conference at Mumbai today.
During the Golden Jubilee Celebration, with Prime Minister commending Company Secretaries in determining the corporate culture of the nation, the path for us to follow was laid out in certain terms through the ICSI motto. These developments have placed PCS in a bright light never seen before and in turn has also entrusted enormous responsibilities on the Practising Company Secretaries to uphold and sustain the expectations of the Society.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi once said that “Good Governance with Good Intentions is the Hallmark of the Government. Implementation with integrity is our core passion.” Aligning the quote, when India is witnessing an era of incredible initiatives of Good Governance including Robust Financial Market, GST, Direct Tax Code, IBC, RERA, Double Tax Avoidance Treaty, Reshaping of Benami Property Act, E-way Bill and alike, the Practising Company Secretary has well and truly arrived as a vital pillar in writing a golden page of ‘Naye Bharat ka Naya Nirmaan’.
ICSI President CS Makarand Lele informed that , the challenge to remain useful, competitive and relevant is as true for the PCS as it is for any other profession and this calls for utmost adherence to values of Independence, Integrity, Professional Competence and Ethical Conduct.
To discuss the importance of these imperatives and explore insights for the sustainability, growth and betterment of the profession, ICSI proudly announces the Golden Jubilee Year National Conference of Practising Company Secretaries (19th National Conference), to be held on May 18-19, 2018 at The LaLiT Mumbai, Sahar Airport Road, Andheri East, Mumbai, Maharashtra, exquisitely captivating the theme of “PCS – A Value Driven Professional”.
The Conference commencing its Inaugural Session on May 18, 2018 and summing up its deliberation on May 19, 2018, would witness the path breaking discussions by eminent experts and professionals in their respective fields from the Government, Regulators and Academia. A Souvenir-cum-Backgrounder containing theme articles, programme details, messages of good wishes and other interesting features will be brought out to commemorate this mega annual event.
The Conference coverage will include: Secretarial Audit, Companies Act, SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, Goods and Services Tax Act, Audits, Attestations, Advocacy, Appearances, Ethics and Governance.
Key Takeaways- Explore new opportunities in the areas of practice, Share knowledge among the peer group, Interact with experienced and expert faculty, Update and sharpen technical and professional Skills, Build Professional Networking, Enhance value driven Professional Services.
Company Secretaries & other Professionals in Secretarial, Legal and Management disciplines shall be participating in the Conference.
Dr. Satya Pal Singh, Hon’ble Minister of State for Human Resource Development (Higher Education) and Shri Ajay Tyagi, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India will be the Guests of Honour at the Inaugural Session of the Golden Jubilee Year National Conference of Practising Company Secretaries (19th Edition) at Mumbai.
CS Makarand Lele President ICSI briefed the media on the following ICSI initiatives:
ICSI Introduces New Syllabus
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India introduced new syllabus for Executive and Professional Programmes. The revised syllabus of the Company Secretary course is effective from March 1, 2018. The first examination for CS Executive and CS Professional Programme under new syllabus will be held in December, 2018 and June, 2019 respectively. First copy of the new syllabus was presented to Shri Prakash Javadekar, Hon’ble Union Minister of Human Resource and Development. The objective behind this syllabus is to provide CS students with a 360 degree approach encompassing all areas of academic significance. The curriculum while providing the budding professionals with the necessary knowledge, expertise and relevant skill set will ensure the right nurturing and fostering of the ‘Corporate Saviours’ of tomorrow.
Code for Charity Governance
ICSI formed a Core Group to look into the grey areas in functioning of charitable entities and propose a Code for Charity Governance. The Code envisages 9 Principles which touch upon different activities of these entities and aims to provide the governance mechanism. This Code will fill a long overdue gap in their governance to ensure that they remain true to their purpose and achieve the ultimate goal of empowering national governance.
Corporate Anti Bribery Code
Comprehending the significance transparency and accountability in suitably placing an inclusive culture of good government in New India, 2022, the government mandates the practices of curbing corruption and eliminating of black money at the utmost precedence. Accordingly, the Institute released a Corporate Anti Bribery Code with the chief objective to ensure that neither the company not any of its employees, directors or authorised representatives indulge in bribery in any of their actions taken for and on behalf of the company in the course of economic, financial or commercial activities of any kind.
CS: A GST Practitioner
A Company Secretary can play an important role by being an advisor and facilitator for due compliance of laws to the general business community and corporate world as well. A Company Secretary is a Goods & Services Tax Practitioner and is eligible to undertake various activities pertaining to the same. The ICSI has organised a number of Webinars to educate its stakeholders and keep them updated. The Webinar series on GST has covered issues like Migration, Transition, Valuation, Refunds.The institute has aslos signed a Memorandum of Understanding with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to train and develop young GST professionals.
Financial Literacy Campaign
The Institute is actively engaged in activities relating to enhancing Financial Literacy and Investor Education.The Institute’s pan India financial literacy campaign focuses on educating elected public representatives i.e Members of Rajya Sabha, Members of Lok Sabha, Members of Legislative Assembly in every state, Municipal Committee Councillors and Sarpanches at Rural Levels.
ICSI Registered Valuers Organization
A CS is now recognised as a “registered valuer” under the new valuation rules issued by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. The notification of these rules - Companies (Registered Valuers and Valuation) Rules 2017- is expected to bring clarity regarding various aspects of valuation and registered valuersand have major impact on industry, professionals, stakeholders and Government as well.
In order to enable the members of ICSI, other professionals and eligible persons to register as Registered Valuers, ICSI has incorporated a not-for-profit private limited company under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013, by the name ‘ICSI Registered Valuers Organization’. The entire shareholding of the said company is held by ICSI. This is a new area of opportunity as the said Rules recognize Company Secretaries to be registered valuers for the asset class viz. Securities and Financial Assets.
The Institute has Launched PMQ Course in specialized subject, namely, Banking Law and Practice, Insurance Law and Practice, Capital, Commodity and Money Market; Intellectual Property Rights-Law and Practice; and International Business- Law and Practice, Launched PMQ Course in Competition Law and Restructured PMQ Course in Corporate Governance.The Institute has also launched a Course on Valuation.
Latest Initiatives for the Students
- 50% Concession in Registration and Examination Fee has been introduced for War Widows and Wards of Martyrs of military and para-military forces.
- Full Time Integrated Company Secretaryship Course has been introduced at CCGRT, Navi Mumbai. Full Time Courses are being planned at more locations in a phased manner.
- The Institute has created ‘ICSI Students Education Fund Trust’ which encourages and motivates both economically backward & academically bright students to pursue the Company Secretaryship Course. ICSI Signature Award Scheme has been introduced by the Institute in furtherance of its objectives to nurture best talent available and facilitate meaningful collaborations between the institutions in the higher education sector for the benefit of student community. Under this Scheme, Top Rank Holder in the B.Com. Examinations of respective Universities and topper of selected programmes/ papers of IIMs / IITs shall be awarded a Gold Medal and Merit Certificate. Top three rank holders in the aforesaid examinations shall also be eligible for waiver of Registration Fee while registering for the CS Course in Executive Programme.
- ICSI conduct CS Olympiad for students of Classes 11th and 12th Standard Students appearing in the respective examinations in each academic year in schools across Indiaduring 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- The Institute has launched a Fee Waiver Scheme for students of Jammu & Kashmir and North Eastern States of India to provide an opportunity to the youth of these States to come to the mainstream. The initiative is expected to play a significant role in empowerment of the youth of such areas.
- The Institute has launched ‘Sampark’ a Missed Call Service for the prospective students of the Institute. Prospective students can give missed call to the Institute at the centralised contact numberand the Institute’s officials thereafter call all such students and mentor /guide/counsel them.
- The Institute has introduced ‘Giri Sagar Vidyarthi Vikas Yojana’ to focus on helping the students of Hilly and Coastal regions of India to join the CS Course.
- The Institute has come up with the unique concept of ‘ICSI Academic Helpline’ through which expert faculties across the country have been empanelled to provide academic guidance to the students on various subjects. Students may avail the Academic Helpline by calling at the centralised contact number.
ICSI Institute Of Insolvency Professionals (IIP)
ICSI Institute of Insolvency Professionals (“ICSI IIP”- Formerly known as Insolvency Professionals Agency), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (“ICSI”) and registered with Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (“IBBI”), is a frontline regulator under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (“Code”) for educating, developing, monitoring and disciplining Insolvency Professionals (“IPs”) enrolled with it.
Other Participants at the Press Meet
Other Participants at the Press Meet who graced the occasion were : CS Vineet K Chaudhary, Council Member, ICSI and Chairman, PCS Conference Committee, CS Hitesh Kothari, Programme Co-ordinator and Chairman Western India Regional Council of ICSI and CS Dinesh C. Arora Secretary ICSI.